Flint and Genesee County reach short-term deal on city lockdown
FLINT, MI – The City and County of Genesee have reached a deal that will pay the county for exploiting the Flint lockdown over the past 12 months as talks continue over the future of the facility.
The deal was due to be approved at the city council meeting on Monday, October 12, but that meeting was called off after the Michigan Supreme Court rejected Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s request to delay the removal of her related emergency powers to COVID-19, including enabling virtual meetings of local governments.
In a resolution sent to council, city administrator Clyde Edwards said the $ 2.9 million deal was conditional on the city receiving funding from the state of Michigan to pay for the cost. total of a contract that runs from October 2019 to the end of September.
“It is the city’s determination that it is in the best interest to contract with the sheriff to continue operating the detention facility,” the resolution sent to council said.
First opened in 1967, the lock-up was closed several times in the decades that followed due to the city’s budget deficits. Various officials have called the facility the key to fighting crime here, as it provides a place to hold those who have been arrested for up to 72 hours, giving them a period of reflection.
In 2012, county and Flint officials first signed a contract which provided for the operation of the county town jail after former Governor Rick Snyder accepted to set aside $ 2.2 million of public funds for the project and state funding has continued since then.
The county reported in late August that it had received part of the reimbursement for operating the lockdown, which was closed due to COVID-19 restrictions, before the contract was signed with the city.
Flint officials have told the county they are considering other options for how the lockdown will work in the future, including the possibility that it may be better administered by the Flint City Police Department.
Learn more about MLive: